Deciding on the type of car you want to buy is not the end of the decisions you need to make in your bid to get a car anywhere in Singapore.
You still have to decide on whether you want to get it from Authorized Dealers or Parallel Importers.
Many are of the opinion that parallel Importers are unauthorized dealers but this isn’t true because once a Parallel Importer obtains its license from the Government, it is acknowledged as a legal entity in the country.
It is however important to note that there are some unlicensed Parallel Importers all around. So if you ever need to get your car, visit a well established parallel importer in Singapore.
Read on to know what Parallel importer is all about
What is Parallel Importer?
Parallel importers are usually small businesses who directly import cars from overseas and sell to consumers at very attractive prices.
Cars are cheaper when purchased from Parallel Importers compared to buying from Authorized Dealers.
What is an Authorized Dealer?
Authorized Dealers are companies that are recognized distributors of a manufacturing company’s vehicles.
They work directly with the manufacturer to import and sell the vehicles and to provide services and brand experience at a level specified by the manufacturer.
Parallel Importers Versus Authorized Dealers.
Both Parallel Importers and Authorized Dealers work in the business of providing cars to the people and although both are equally recognized by the Government there are still some differences between both.
- Cheaper Prices: Parallel Importers sell cars at more attractive rates than the Authorized Dealers.
- Replacement Parts: spare part inventory recommended by the manufacturer is readily accessible with an Authorized Dealers while Parallel Importers cannot guarantee the availability of such.
- Latest Vehicle Models: the latest models from a car manufacturer can be gotten from their Authorized Dealers as soon as it is made available for sales but this cannot be said for all Parallel Importers.
- Brand Experience and Service Level Agreements: When you buy directly from authorized dealers you will be treated the same way you will be treated as if you are buying directly from the factory but this implies a higher cost. But when you buy from Parallel Importers, you will be saving on some of these costs.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING YOUR FROM PARALLEL IMPORTERS:
If you intend purchasing your car from Parallel Importers, you should ensure that you are getting from one that is legally recognized by the government.
Here are a list of things you can do:
- Check out if the dealer is on the black list of the Consumers Association of Singapore – CASE. Call them and check if your intended dealer has any complaint lodged against them.
- Do your due diligence on the Parallel importer that you intend to get your car from. Check how long they have been in the business, look for other customers’ reviews on getting cars from them.
- Check if they are a registered company with the Singapore Government. A licensed Parallel Importer would be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority ACRA.
There can never be too much information when you are making research on your dealer and always make sure you get it from licensed Parallel Importers.